The USAID SAFE (Supporting Access to Justice, Fostering Equity and Peace) program is advertising for a one-year post of Program Officer – Northern Uganda. SAFE is a five-year development project implemented by a consortium of the U.S. National Center for State Courts and international NGO Search for Common Ground (see www.safeprogram.ug). SAFE’s goals are to improve citizens’ access to land-related justice and to strengthen peace building and conflict mitigation. The SAFE program anticipates a one-year extension by USAID from August 2017 to August 2018, with a primary program focus in northern Uganda. We are now seeking to recruit a Program Officer to coordinate SAFE activities in the north.
- To support the Kampala office to implement and coordinate all SAFE Program activities in selected districts in Acholi and West Nile.
- To be the link between district and sub-district officials and the SAFE Program, including regular meeting and reporting to local government officials as required.
- To provide a monthly situational analysis report on the events in northern Uganda
- To attend meetings/events on behalf of the Chief of Party and SAFE.
- To document and share reports with the Kampala team on a weekly basis.
- To interact with stakeholders implementing activities relevant to SAFE’s northern interventions
- To contribute to SAFE’s monthly conflict assessment reporting.
Requirements for the Position:
- The candidate should be a holder of a good University degree from a recognized University in the field of Social Sciences, Sociology, Conflict studies, Development studies or other relevant field.
- Must have a good knowledge of current issues affecting northern Uganda, including post LRA reconstruction issues, land conflicts, and the current refugee crisis.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with multiple government and non-governmental stakeholders
- Able to work with limited supervision
- Excellent command of spoken and written English language.
- Fluency in Luo required and ability to communicate in other northern languages a strong asset.
- Direct work experience in conflict management, peace building skills and a background in working in refugee settings will be an advantage.
- M&E experience will be an added advantage.
This position will be based in Gulu, and will require frequent travel to other districts in northern Uganda, in the Acholi and West Nile regions.
To apply, please send a current CV and a cover letter referencing the above requirements describing how your experience fits the qualifications for the position to: email@example.com by Wednesday July 26. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
SAFE is an equal opportunity employer.